Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Healthy Wheat Pizza

I just made healthy wheat pizza dough. We are making our own pizzas tonight. The recipe is:

Whisk 3 3/4 wheat or spelt flour (I added in a tiny bit of flaxseed meal) and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt in a bowl. Make a large well with your fingers. Add 1 1/3 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 packet of yeast. When the liquid gets foamy (about 5 minutes) add 3 tablespoons of olive oil; knead until smooth (about 5 minutes). Brush with olive oil, cover and sit for 1 1/2 hours. The dough will rise and double. Divide into two 1 pound balls, roll out and top as desired. Bake in a 500 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Some of my favorite toppings are below but you can do ANYTHING with this crust. Be creative!
  • Olive oil, marinara, fresh basil, tomatoes and fresh good mozzarella
  • Olive oil, pears, gorgonzola. After it comes out of the oven add arugula and walnuts tossed with olive oil.
  • Olive oil, thin shaved ham, and brie
  • Brush with light butter (melted) and bake until golden. Saute 3 sliced bananas with butter, 1 tablespoon sugar and splash of rum. Then spoon over pizza. Drizzle with chocolate/hazlenut spread - Nutella.

We spent a few days in Dallas for spring break. We took the kids to Medieval Times and the aquarium. It was fun but I could sure tell after eating Mexican food that I felt gross. There is something to this clean eating thing. I am going to try and combine some of their recipes with some of my favorite Weight Watchers recipes. The challenge will be that so many of the low calorie foods recommended in the Weight Watchers recipes are foods with not so natural ingredients. Example; Cool Whip, fat free pudding mix, etc. I will see what I can figure out and will post my findings.

Another note - my skin is clearing up with organic milk for sure. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment